Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Catching up ...

I spent the better part of the long weekend in Gatlinburg, TN with my best friend, Jill. It was a really nice getaway for us ... and a wonderful time to just be together. Her parents have a time share there, but were unable to use it this year. We jumped at the chance. Our friend Shelly was originally supposed to accompany us, but that didn't pan out (much to our chagrin -- but we understand), so we made the trek alone. The "suite" was nice ... a bit country in its decor (quelle surprise), but very roomy and comfortable. We did a lot of mountain sight-seeing ... lots of eating (damn they have wonderful fudge and candies there) ... entirely too much walking (hehe)... and a LOT of talking. She's still going through a lot with her husband, and I did my best to offer sound advice. By Sunday night, however, I was all out of "it's going to be ok" speeches. She knows they're both miserable ... and it doesn't appear things will ever mend themselves. It's hard, sure ... but she's going to have to take that major step and move forward with her life. She knows it. It's just a not-so lovely combination of sad, painful, and scary. She's a tough girl, though. She's going to be just fine.

Saw The Devil Wears Prada yesterday, and loved it. It's funny, bitchy, and just a solid little flick. Nothing groundbreaking. Meryl is fantastic. Emily Blunt, as one of Streep's harried assistants, is also a delight. I think Adrien Grenier looks like Chester Cheetah. The movie made me long for the passion I used to feel for journalism. What a different person I'd be had I just followed through with that in college.

Wasn't feeling especially patriotic this year, so we sort of cocooned last night. Ang came over and we had some KFC, ate entirely too much candy, and watched the director's cut of Donnie Darko. It's definitely a bizarre little movie ... but I really really like it. I had trouble sleeping because I was mulling so much of it over in my head. And please -- it has that wonderful Gary Jules cover of "Mad World" in it. Bliss.

We found an apartment. Half a double. Cute. It's going to be a rough August financially, but I think everyone involved will be much better off. I need to shake my fears and get excited. It's a really nice place.

This is all not to say that I don't still dream of packing our shit and disappearing into the night. I sometimes think there'd be nothing more delightful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home