Friday, December 23, 2005

Jrc's picks

Taking the cue from Tony, here's my list of 2005 faves.

Music:
  • "I May Hate Myself in the Morning" by Lee Ann Womack
  • "Breathe (2 AM)" by Anna Nalick
  • "Mushaboom" by Feist
  • "Landed" by Ben Folds
  • "In the Yard, Behind the Church" by Eels
  • "All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands" by Sufjan Stevens
  • "Feel Good, Inc." by Gorillaz

Performances:

Film:
  • Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof. She was sublime. My favorite performance by an actor this year.
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. The film is so-so, but I have a feeling that he (and, from what I'm hearing, Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain) will be the one to beat come Oscar time.
  • Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds. She's damn good for a munchkin.
  • Shirley MacLaine in In Her Shoes. Probably the ultimate chick flick, but MacLaine is fantastic in it. Fun, sassy, and honest. Love her.
  • Matt Dillon in Crash. The best thing he's ever done. And it's a great movie, too.
  • Christian Bale in Batman Begins. He's my new hero. I wonder if he'll marry me?
  • Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins. I couldn't take my eyes off him. Wonderfully creepy.

TV:
  • Matthew Fox in "Lost." Sigh. I'd eat him with a spoon. And I love his character.
  • Jason Bateman in "Arrested Development." Who would have thought that Mr. Bateman would have grown into such a brilliantly subtle comic actor? He's flat out fantastic on "AD." God I hope Showtime grabs this show.
  • Mary-Louise Parker in "Weeds." Like buttah. Tony always calls her an "interesting actress" because of her process or whatever ... but she takes my breath away. There's a scene in an early ep of the show when she's watching a video of her late husband. You can read all 9412 emotions on her face. She's perfect.
  • Elizabeth Perkins in "Weeds." I'm convinced she's me, as a woman.
  • Debra Messing in "Will & Grace." Yes, the show is tired and well past its prime. We all know that. But I don't think Messing has ever gotten the respect and accolades she deserves for her work on this show. She's so damn funny.
  • Kathy Griffin in "My Life on the D-List." I have no words. I shall simply bow to her biting wit and scathing truth. And then I'll laugh my ass off.

Live music:
  • Melissa Etheridge was amazing on the Grammys, performing "Piece of My Heart." Brave. Crazy. Spot-on.
  • Trisha Yearwood's "Live By Request" concert on A&E was stunning. And she sang "Midnight Train to Georgia," so I nearly peed in my pants.
  • Kai Mwaafrika's performance of "Trouble in Mind" during the Phoenix Theatre's production of "Further Mo'." I used to think the song belonged to the one and only Dinah Washington. I was mistaken.
Experiences:
  • Seeing Marc Broussard with Tony. What a great show. And Marc is ever-so sexy.
  • Seeing Eels with Timmy. Fun to hang out with Tim, after far too long, and very very fun to see a great band perform in a totally different way.
  • Seeing The Finn Brothers with Ang. I was more familiar with their pre- and post-Crowded House work than Ang, but we had a lovely time. And the boys were great.
  • Opening my digital camera earlier this week. Sigh. "He knows me so well...."
  • The "bonding night" with Matty when the three of us laughed our asses off all night like schoolgirls.
  • I had a really fun weeked at Bearfest. Lots of reasons why ...
  • Seeing Tony onstage again was lovely.
  • Reading Infinite Crisis #1. Total geek, yeah ... but this book is so fun and is shaping up to be the catalyst for big changes in the DC Universe. I love feeling that old anticipation for each new issue. And my buddy Phil is doing a bang-up job on the art.

I'm going to stop now, because if I don't, I'll go on forever. Merry Christmas!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony McDonald said...

Okay... you ARE Elizabeth Perkins. I always wondered where you were during filming... now I know. And as for Mary Louise Parker... it's not her "process," she just always acts "stoned" and has weird reactions to everything. Not bad, just different. You and Brandi think she's incredible... I find her unique. ;-) And can I just "Bearfest?" LOL... I DO know her so well...

9:29 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Infinite Crisis is making me a DC addict.

#3 killed me... so many suprises and SO little time to process them all.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home