Tuesday, September 04, 2007

American Beauty

Tony and I watched American Beauty last night. I love that movie. I want to hug it and squeeze it and smack it and throw it against the wall ... but I love the way it makes me feel. The sadness it brings about isn't an all-encompassing one ... and there's a certain sublime elegance to the last line of the film. I know I certainly sat back and thought about my life as the credits rolled. What a fantastic piece of cinema. I wish Wes Bentley made more movies ... or at least more movies that people actually SEE. He was perfect in AB -- that smoldering intensity, that rage kept just below the surface. As much as I love Spacey and Bening in the film, I think Bentley's character is my favorite. And yes, as Tony pointed out last night, the floating bag scene is somewhat self indulgent, but I am overcome every time I see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home