Monday, March 06, 2006

So how 'bout that Crash? Wow. I'm still speechless. What a huge, huge upset. Don't get me wrong -- I love the movie -- but I can't believe it swiped the top award. Of course, the Oscars are a very Hollywood affair ... and Crash is a very Hollywood movie. It has a massive number of speaking roles ... it's a film that holds a mirror up to the LA scene and shows a very unflattering image ... and it's well-made, well-written, and a top notch production. So sure ... give it the Best Picture Oscar. But I guarantee you that in a few years, people will call its win over Brokeback a "fluke" and maybe even a "travesty." I won't go so far as to say I feel it's a travesty ... but I still think the wrong film won.

Elsewhere -- no real surprises, except for "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp." Are you KIDDING me?!? I loved Jon Stewart's commentary: "For those of you keeping score -- Martin Scorsese, zero Oscars. Three-6 Mafia, one." Unbelievable. How "hip" of the Academy. ;-) And you KNOW that's what they were all thinking when they checked that box on their ballots. Honestly, though, there wasn't a really memorable song in the bunch ... hence the three instead of five nominees.

Yay for Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Wonderful actor. Solid performance. Not the best of the year (that honor belongs to Heath Ledger), but the perfect type of role for which to award the Oscar. His body of work is very admirable. And he has that "aww, shucks" factor when he speaks that's very endearing.

Reese Witherspoon looked gorgeous and gave a lovely acceptance speech. I knew she'd win. I recently watched Walk the Line at home on DVD, and it convinced me that she deserved to win. I'd seen the flick on the big screen and came away from it thinking "nice work, but not so sure if it's Oscar-worthy." Totally changed my mind during my second viewing. She comports June Carter with dignity, vivacity, charm, humanity, and skillful wisdom. Her June is truly torn over her failed marriages, her growing love for another woman's husband, and displays a humble grace when dealing with her own talents. I loved her performance.

Okay, so I still have a little crush on George Clooney. He's the Cary Grant of his time... without the bisexuality. :-)

Rachel Weisz looked radiant and was gracious and lovely at the microphone. Haven't seen her film, I'm sorry to say, but from what I've heard and read, she's apparently the best thing in it. Here's hoping the award brings her more screen time. I could listen to her speak for hours.

I thought Jon Stewart did a fine job as host. The Bjork/Dick Cheney joke was priceless.

Dolly Parton, whom I adore, looked like a weak facsimile of herself. Lay off the botox and plastic surgery, Dolly. Geez.

I noticed a real trend toward very glamorous, "Old Hollywood" gowns ... and it was nice. Cream and/or nude seemed to be the color of choice. Standout females for me were Jennifer Garner (whose breasts looked fabulous, thank you very much baby Violet), Reese Witherspoon, Zhang Ziyi, Sandra Bullock, Michelle Williams, Keira Knightley, Felicity Huffman, and Nicole Kidman.

Until next year ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home