Monday, May 08, 2006

Happy Birthday David (so I'm late -- typical)

Last Wednesday was my nephew David's birthday. He turned 15. I can't even believe it. Wow. So ... 15 years ago (give or take a week - hehe), I had just walked into my apartment after acing my Classical Culture final exam. My roommate, Adam, had just gotten up and was groggy and bitchy. That was nothing new -- we were quite the groggy bitches in those days.

"Your Mom called," he said, pointing toward the flashing light on the answering machine. "I didn't get up in time to get it, but she says your sister is in labor."

"WHAT?" I shrieked. "She's not due for another month!!"

"Well, your Mom says she's in labor. She's at St. John's."

I bolted for the door without even taking a sip of the coffee I had just prepared. I had the rest of the day free and I knew I had to get to the hospital as quickly as possible. As the birthing coach, I should have been there already, but we didn't expect the kid for another month. In fact, Kathy wasn't due until June 6, and I was really hoping she'd drop on my birthday. What a nice little present that would have been...

Amy Grant sang "Baby Baby" over the airwaves as I lit a cigarette and pulled onto old SR 32. I couldn't believe she was ready ... and I was worried that it was too early. Kathy had been plagued by a very difficult pregnancy. She had lost a baby only a few months before finding out she was expecting *this* one, and her doctor advised her it would be highly unusual for her to carry the baby to term. She was receiving shots weekly and had gained a large amount of weight ... but because her marriage had fallen apart, I really think she was determined to have a healthy baby because she needed something to give her a reason to smile. I was honored when she asked me to be her coach, and it was a truly eye-opening and special experience. I sang along with Amy Grant (now I shudder at the thought) and made my way to Anderson.

Mom was in the lobby, talking to my sister Carolyn, who was visiting from Missouri. We made the requisite greetings, and I headed upstairs. After my scrub down, I wrapped the mask around my face and entered the room where Kathy was preparing herself. She was doing well, but really ready to have it over with ... but the doctor told us that the baby would be born butt first. Argh. Kathy was given some more pain medication, and as we worked on the breathing, I heard the nurse say "She's going to rip!" SLAM! I passed out cold.

I woke up in the chair next to Kathy's bed, and she was laughing at me. I missed the whole damn thing! The baby was so small he was dressed in a Cabbage Patch doll's onesie (is that how that's spelled?) and he was the reddest little thing I'd ever seen. The nurse looked at me and said "Do you want to hold him, Daddy?" We all laughed at her mistake, but I have to admit, it was the one and only time in my life I was a bit sad that I won't ever be anyone's father. That somber thought only lasted a second, though, because as soon as I held that little baby, all I could do was stare at him. Wow. I'll never forget that as long as I live. I *can* be sappy at times, everyone...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm, Amy Grant!? Dude. You shall never mention a certain name to me again! Because you just took the cake and ran with it. In fact, you took the cake, ate it and then ate more with that reference. :)

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home